Sunday, September 14, 2008

Me and my friends are Jem girls. Jem. Jem is my name.

My girlfriend has a Netflix account.  On Friday, we got Jem: Season 3, Disc 1.  I had never seen Jem before but I was a little familiar with the concept.  It is a wonderful example of the culture of the day. A time when people looked like this:
This is Kajagoogoo, a band from the eighties that produced hits such as "Too Shy."  That guy in the middle is Limahl and he sang the theme song to the Neverending Story.  

Anyways, Jem and the Holograms were an all girl version of this picture except with pink and blue hair.  Placed throughout each episode is a music video that actually has the title and artist text in the bottom left corner.  This reflects the rising popularity of music videos in the modern world after the advent of MTV(which never plays music videos.  If it weren't for new media I would never see a music video).  

Bottom line: I love Jem.  Maybe it's because my girlfriend loved it so much.  Maybe it's because the DVD player started screwing up and the audio didn't play for an entire episode.  But I think it's because of the music. Just listen to those lyrics.  

No comments: