Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight

Cedric Diggery back from the dead!!!!!! Years after murder by Voldemort, Diggery, 17, returns as vampire.

I saw "Twilight" today.  It was entertaining, but I didn't think it was a good film.  Truth be told, I would have never seen it if my girlfriend hadn't made me go.  I think that the film definitely appeals to a certain audience and, as Media Literacy says, should not be a substitute for reading the book.  

I think the film suffered a bit because I feel that they sacrificed story for style in its making.  Watching it made me feel like I was watching the music video to the Paramore song which appears on the soundtrack, which also clues me in that I am definitely not the target audience of the film.  Looking back on the experience, it's almost as though we were watching an exploitative science fiction B-movie from the 60's or 70's targeted at young women, as the film is the screen version of a book containing the bizarre sexual fantasies of a woman with a vampire.  Weird, I know.  But I think that a lesson can be learned about the appeal of media that is structured like other media, such as a film made in the style of a music video, in order to win over an audience.  

No comments: